The last 6 weeks have been trying times for us as we were all dealing with the unprecedented issues surrounding the global pandemic. The pandemic has affected all aspects of our lives and resulted in the closure of essentially all elective surgery except but emergency care. Through Governor Waltz’s leadership we are beginning to reopen our elective surgical and dental services as of May 13th. Although we are grateful and excited about returning to work, it is not the time to let down our guard and as a community we need to work together to ensure we continue to minimize the spread of the virus while resuming our daily activities.
We have carefully followed the progress of the pandemic and implemented recommendations for minimizing its spread. Based on guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Minnesota Department of Health Services (MDH), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Governor’s office we have formulated a plan that maximizes the safety of our patients and their families as well as our healthcare team. We would like to share with you the many changes that we have implemented. As time passes and recommendations change, our protocols will also change and evolve to encompass the best available evidence for our patients.
What will not change is our continued commitment to the safety of our staff and patients.
- In an effort to minimize in-office time, when at all possible, prior to arriving at the office, patient registration paperwork should be completed online through our website.
- A viral exposure intake form will be completed by any person, patient or escort that comes into the office.
- All individuals entering the office to wear their own face mask.
- Every person entering the office will have their temperature checked.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided in the office.
- Our staff will be routinely cleaning chairs, tables and the general waiting area and bathroom.
- There will be no magazines or books in the waiting area, so please bring any desired reading material.
- No food or beverages will be permitted in the waiting room.
- The number of chairs in the waiting room have been reduced. Each chair will be set a minimum of 6 feet apart.
- Whether it be a surgical consultation or a surgical procedure, we request that only necessary individuals be present.
- We request that adult patients enter the waiting room alone and have others wait in the car or outside.
- Only one escort for minor patients will be permitted. All others wait in the car or outside.
- To minimize the amount of individuals in our waiting and surgical area, we will be staggering surgical and consultative appointments.
- After every appointment, all areas and our equipment and areas will be thoroughly cleaned per our protocol.
- Any staff member feeling ill will stay at home.
- Our entire staff will daily complete viral exposure intake forms and have their temperatures taken.
- All staff will follow CMS and CDC universal source guidelines.
- Masks will be worn in non-treatment and treatment areas.
- Staff will adhere to regular hand washing and sanitizing.
- All of our staff will arrive at our office in their personal clothing, change into work PPE, and upon completion of their work day, change back into personal clothing. All scrubs (PPE) will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.
- Any staff member that comes in contact with a person texting positive or any person that is being tested will self-quarantine. They will not return to work without a note from their physician.
We thank you for your patience as these protocols are an adjustment for all of us. In order to ease the transition, the following will also be available.
- If necessary, another individual can phone into a consultation via speaker phone to listen and ask questions.
- If additional explanation of insurance, financial obligations, or options is needed, a follow up phone call can be made.
- Virtual Consultations, with encrypted software, are available to minimize exposure. Please call for more information.
Our doctors and staff at Minnesota Oral and Facial Surgery Center appreciate your efforts and cooperation to limit the spread of the virus. We look forward to continuing to be of service to you and our community.
Deepak Kademani DMD MD FACS and Rod VanSurskum DDS
Minnesota Oral and Facial Surgery
Partners for your Healthcare Journey-Providing Excellence in Surgical Care