Understanding the reasons for orthognathic surgery can be a crucial component if you’re considering this procedure, as it can significantly impact your quality of life and overall health. At Minnesota Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, we are deeply committed to providing expert oral surgery procedures that aim to improve your oral health, self-esteem, and overall wellbeing.
What is Orthognathic Surgery?
Orthognathic surgery, also known as corrective jaw surgery, involves repositioning misaligned jaws and teeth to improve their function and aesthetics. While braces and other orthodontics can correct the alignment of teeth, they cannot correct certain severe jaw problems, and that’s where orthognathic surgery comes into play.
Reasons for Orthognathic Surgery
Understanding when this surgery is needed is invaluable in making an informed decision about your oral health. Below are some common reasons to consider orthognathic surgery:
1. Difficulty in Chewing or Biting: If you’re having trouble with biting or chewing food, it could be indicative of a jaw misalignment. Orthognathic surgery can alleviate these discomforts and substantially improve your quality of life.
2. Sleep Apnea or Chronic Snoring: Sleep apnea is a potentially dangerous condition where one repeatedly stops and starts breathing during sleep. This could be due to an overly large tongue or a misaligned jaw, both of which can be corrected with orthognathic surgery.
3. Facial Imbalance: Aesthetic reasons make up a significant number of cases. If the proportions of your face are affected due to an overbite, underbite, or asymmetrical facial structure, orthognathic surgery can help restore balance, significantly improving your appearance and self-confidence.
4. Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Disorders: If you’re experiencing chronic pain or difficulty moving your jaw due to TMJ disorders, corrective jaw surgery can help alleviate these symptoms.
5. Speech Impediments: If misaligned jaws or teeth are causing speech issues, orthognathic surgery can help correct these problems and drastically improve your ability to communicate.
The Journey to Orthognathic Surgery
The journey to this surgery is a shared one between you and your oral health professional. It begins with a comprehensive evaluation and diagnosis, followed by a thorough discussion on the reasons for orthognathic surgery. As experts in oral and maxillofacial procedures, we at Minnesota Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery provide you with all the necessary guidance and support throughout this journey.
The Orthognathic Surgery Procedure
The surgery itself involves moving your upper, lower, or both jaws to their correct positions. It may also involve reshaping or resizing certain aspects of your jawbone. Rest assured, as experts in this field, we use advanced techniques and technologies to ensure accuracy, minimal discomfort, and a speedy recovery.
Recovery and Post-Orthognathic Surgery
Recovery varies from patient to patient, with complete healing taking anywhere from a few weeks to several months. However, most patients report experiencing a significant enhancement in their overall well-being soon after surgery. With the correct oral hygiene practices and follow-up care, you can ensure a smooth transition to your new, improved oral health.
Choosing orthognathic surgery is a significant decision, but it can greatly improve functionality, aesthetics, and your general quality of life. Whether it’s to address physical discomfort, sleep disorders, aesthetic concerns, or speech impediments, orthognathic surgery provides a lasting solution that can leave you smiling with confidence.
At Minnesota Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, we are steadfast in providing our patients with the best possible care. Our expert team assesses your oral health concerns, provides a detailed diagnosis, and helps you understand the reasons for orthognathic surgery. We remain by your side throughout your journey, delivering unsurpassed care rooted in knowledge, experience, and empathy.