This article is for those who might be dissatisfied with their nose and are considering a change. At Minnesota Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, we empathize with your concerns, and we’re here to provide insight into the procedure known as rhinoplasty surgery, or more commonly, a ‘nose job.’ Here are some reasons why someone might opt for this surgery.
Enhancing Facial Symmetry
A key motivator for rhinoplasty is to enhance facial symmetry. For some, the desire to have a symmetrical face is about more than just aesthetics. It can also boost self-confidence and overall well-being. Rhinoplasty can:
- Alter the size: Whether you feel your nose is too big, too small, or just not in proportion with the rest of your face, this procedure can help.
- Change the shape: You might desire a nose that’s less round, more pointed, less wide, or differently shaped in other ways. Rhinoplasty offers the flexibility to alter the shape of your nose.
Correcting Breathing Issues
Beyond cosmetic reasons, many people seek to address functional issues, such as:
- Deviated septum: This is a condition where the wall between your nostrils (the septum) is not straight. A deviated septum can cause breathing difficulties, which can be corrected.
- Other structural issues: Sometimes, the structure of your nose can impede your breathing. This could be due to congenital disabilities or injuries. Rhinoplasty can rectify these structural issues.
Repairing After Injury
Injury to the nose is a common reason to consider rhinoplasty. This can include:
- Sports injuries: Fast-paced and contact sports can sometimes lead to injuries that alter the shape of your nose.
- Accidents: Unforeseen incidents like car accidents or falls can cause damage to the nose, requiring surgical intervention.
As a clinic that specializes in head and neck cancer treatment, we know that patients sometimes require reconstruction after cancer surgery. Rhinoplasty can play a key role in this process, helping patients regain a sense of normalcy and improve their quality of life.
Rhinoplasty is an individualized procedure, and the decision to have it is a personal one. If you’ve been self-conscious about the appearance or function of your nose, you’re not alone. At Minnesota Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, we’re here to listen to your concerns and guide you through the process. Whether it’s for symmetry, functionality, post-injury, or reconstruction, we can help you understand your options and decide what’s best for you. Here’s to embracing our individual beauty, one nose at a time!
Connect with Dr. Kademani and his team and get the expertise of a top rhinoplasty surgeon.
You can find general information about rhinoplasty here.